Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Touching you, touching me.

Let's start at the very beginning. I was born in 1979 in Toms River, New Jersey on Holly Road. My parents are both very musical people. I swear my dad is the lost Bee Gee and my mother, Olivia Newton John's next of kin. When I was little my mother used to sing that Xanadu song, " Have to believe we are magic, nothing can stand in our way". I still believe her. Somewhere along the road, my mother told me that the Neil Diamond song " Holly Holy Love" was the inspiration for my name. It's off the album, " Touching you, touching me", which these days doesn't jive so well what with all the wrong people touching all the wrong people in all the wrong places. It would be a sweet sentiment if people's minds were not in the gutter. I adore this album art, mostly because it is very rare to see a man in polka dots and he wears them so well. I find polka dots on a man very elegant and polka dots in general, instant happy-making.




I always wondered what the back story was to the song. It sounded to me like Mr.Diamond fell for a shixa, perhaps a Catholic girl who he couldn't have because she was on some holy mission. The lyrics have been a great source of comfort on the road and some day I hope I get to ask Mr. Diamond who this girl was and where this song came from. Here are the lyrics, they're worth the read and the rewind:




Holly holy eyes
Dream of only you
Where I am, what I am
What I believe in
Holly holy
Holly holy dream
Wanting only you
And she comes
And I run just like the wind will
Holly holy


Sing a song
Sing a song of songs
Sing it out
Sing it strong


Call the sun in the dead of the night
And the sun's gonna rise in the sky
Touch a man who can't walk upright
And that lame man, he's gonna fly
And I fly


Holly holy love


Take the lonely child
And the seed
Let it be filled with tomorrow
Holly holy

Sing a song
Sing a song of songs
Sing it out
Sing it strong


Call the sun in the dead of the night
And the sun's gonna rise in the sky
Touch a man who can't walk upright
And that lame man, he's gonna fly
And I fly, yeah
And I fly


Holly holy dream
Dream of only you
Holly holy love
Holly holy love




It is late now and tomorrow I am heading over to Yoga Palace, as I call it -- the home of my dear friend Liana Cameris,who I have known since the second grade. She is a brilliant yoga teacher, a healer, an Earth Mother Goddess, an angel, a fire dancer and keeper of the flame. Yoga Palace is where I have been blessed to have landed many a time to hatch ideas, write, listen, dream, play. It is one of those alchemical houses where the vibe is pure Divine yoga love, every inch of it. Jordanna Rock Garden is there too ( aka J. Rock) another angel in my life and cream of the crop Jivamukti yoga teacher and musician. The supernatural Simon Park is sometimes there as well in this Palace of the Yogis in the City of Brotherly Love, perhaps I will have a Simon sighting. There's a snake who lives there too named Jameson and last time I was there it shed its skin. I'm still afraid of snakes. I'm Old and English underneath, I blame it on that. Anyway, I feel like something equally transformative may happen tomorrow over tea in the company of yogis. There is that feeling blowin in the wind. The answer has been there all along, I realize, Mr. Dylan. I should have listened to you, could have saved myself a lot of Time, but what fun would that have been? I've been everywhere, man. And I guess some of us are just born to learn the hard way. I wouldn't have it any other way, apparently. Well, Saint Francis said, " I have been everything unholy. If God can work through me, he can work through anyone." And Paul sang, " Love is all you need". That's where we are now, friends, Romans, countrymen. Keep your head to the sky.





A picture taken on the sill of my present perch of the little things......



Meet me in the morning......












2 comments:

  1. Interesting. My mom wanted to name me Shiloh from a Neil Diamond song. I ended up with the name Kelly instead (man, wish my mom had her way). Neil Diamond was my first concert ever when I was like 8 years old. Good times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is also Holly and my mother always refers to this song.... And the funny thing about this "free spirited" song is that my mother is an alcoholic and held tightly in her bondage. I can't shove my Christianity down her throat, but Lord knows that I pray as much as I can for her salvation to come to her as quickly as her forgiveness will. I found your blog while I was trying to name my own blog, thinking something like HollyHolyLoveofGod.... Thank you. My soul has been ministered to greatly by reading this excerpt from your life. I was actually born in London, England and grew up from then on in California.. So from one barely British Holly to another, God bless such a beautiful blog entry. =)

    ReplyDelete

Followers